[tractusx-dev] Backdoor Awareness: CVE-2024-3094

Disclaimer: This mail is being sent to spread awareness. Please do not press panic button.

Dear Tractus-X community,

I have summarized below, the basic information needed to be aware about CVE-2024-3094.

I hope that you find this useful.

CVE-2024-3094: Critical SSH Backdoor in XZ Utils (Linux): CVSS score of 10

The backdoor was discovered by Andres Freund (Microsoft) on March 29, 2024.

Technical Details

  • Affected Software: XZ Utils versions 5.6.0 and 5.6.1
  • Vulnerability Type: Code Injection (CWE-78)
  • Impact: Remote Code Execution (RCE), Potential Privilege Escalation

A critical backdoor vulnerability (CVE-2024-3094) exists in XZ Utils versions 5.6.0 and 5.6.1.

This backdoor allows remote attackers to execute code on vulnerable systems without authentication.

What is the impact of CVE-2024-3094?

The vulnerability allows a remote unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the affected target, as the user running the SSH service.

How it Works:

The backdoor injects malicious code into the OpenSSH server (SSHD) on the target machine.

This code allows attackers with a specific private key to:

  • Send arbitrary commands through SSH before authentication.
  • Bypass SSH password authentication and log in with any password.

How to Check:

Run the following command:

strings $(which xz) | grep '5\.6\.[01]'

If it outputs a version number starting with "5.6.0" or "5.6.1", your system is vulnerable.

Mitigation:

Downgrade XZ Utils to a version not affected by the backdoor (e.g., XZ Utils 5.4.6 Stable).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Rohan Krishnamurthy

CyS Dev.Technology & Infrastructure (DIRCI)

ZF Group
Corporate Research and Development
ZF RACE ENGINEERING GmbH
Uni-Campus Nord D52, 66123 Saarbrücken, Deutschland/Germany
Telefon/Phone: +496819205486
rohan.krishnamurthy@xxxxxx

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Sascha Ricanek
Sitz/Headquarters: Schweinfurt
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Schweinfurt HRB 3301/Trade register of the municipal court of Schweinfurt HRB 3301

Informationen zur Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten und zu Ihren Rechten erhalten Sie jederzeit in unseren Datenschutzhinweisen:
https://www.zf.com/de/data-protection-notice
You can find information about how we process your data and your rights in our data protection notice:
https://www.zf.com/en/data-protection-notice

Back to the top