[tracecompass-dev] Common Trace Format 2 (CTF2) specification and sub-specs

Hi,

Here is the status of the specification and sub-specifications:

- "CTF2‑SPEC‑2.0: Common Trace Format version 2"
  https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-SPEC-2.0.html

This is the official CTF 2.0 spec. The URL https://diamon.org/ctf
points to the latest version of the Common Trace Format spec.

- "CTF2‑DOCID‑2.0: CTF 2 document identifier format"
  https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-DOCID-2.0.html

The CTF 2 specification refers to it.

- "CTF2-FS-1.0: Layout of a CTF 2 trace stored on a file system"
  https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-FS-1.0.html

This document covers how Babeltrace and Trace Compass
will expect the CTF2 files on the filesystem, and how
Babeltrace and LTTng plan to produce them. This is by
all means an "optional" specification, which means it
is up to the implementation to decide whether they want
to abide by it or not.

Philippe plans to soon release a CTF2-FS-2.0 document with
pretty much the same content as version 1.0, but formatted
following the CTF2‑DOCID‑2.0 specification.

We are planning to add an index of those relevant "optional"
specifications within the CTF2 specification so they can easily
be found.

If we end up having a new storage pattern that end up being
commonly used by implementations, e.g. storing a CTF2 trace
within a binary blob in OpenTelemetry [1], we can always create
a new sub-specification similar to CTF2-FS to cover this.

The following specification files were deprecated by the
time the CTF2 specification was finalized:

- https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-BASICATTRS-1.0.html
- https://diamon.org/ctf/files/CTF2-PMETA-1.0.html

As always, feedback is welcome!

Thanks,