From: Matthew Khouzam <matthew.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2024 6:26 PM
To: Vinod Appu <vinod.appu@xxxxxxxxxxx>; tracecompass-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Vishnu Sarath <vishnu.sarath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Time Graph view stuck

Yes, if it's slowly progressing it means the analysis is slow.

Are you running a regex per event? I suggest either profiling your software with visualvm or some equivalent to figure out the bottleneck... or even better, you can trace it! 🙂  Check out the TraceCompassLogUtils class for examples.

How big is your trace? are we talking 100kb, or 100 tb? this can have an impact too. When you figure out how many events/second you have you can know if something is going wrong.

Quite frankly, making things go fast in trace compass is one of my favorite parts of my job.

Some leads:

Is your event parsing slow?

Do you have an O(N2) datastructure somewhere?

Are you reading and writing to the hdd per event?

Are you doing network operations per event?

Hope this helps.

Matthew.