[tracecompass-dev] R: Question about VM tracing with LTTng and Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass

OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed ( # VERSION="20210210" )
Kernel version: Linux 5.10.12-1-default x86_64

LTTng-modules 2.12.0-rc1 ( https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules )

Da: tracecompass-dev <tracecompass-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> per conto di tracecompass developer discussions <tracecompass-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Inviato: martedì 16 febbraio 2021 20:13
A: Dario Faggioli <dfaggioli@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: tracecompass developer discussions <tracecompass-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Oggetto: Re: [tracecompass-dev] Question about VM tracing with LTTng and Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass

> We're using the latest available LTTng release (either from openSUSE
> packages or installed from sources).

Well we would need an actual number here and a clear "origin" to help since that
if it is actually the latest stable release and there is still failures we could
help fix them.

Can you provide the complete kernel version as well and the distro (I suspect
SUSE but we never know), and complete distro version.

> Ah, ok, so does that paragraph mean that if one uses 2.9+, everything
> is there already? That would be cool!

AFAIK yes.

> Yep, that's exactly what we're using.
>
> If we do not need anything special for trace synchronization, this will
> leave us with only the "addons_vm" part to take care of:
>
> https://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass.incubator/doc/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.virtual.machine.analysis.doc.user/Virtual-Machine-Analysis-User-Documentation.html

Considering that the repo this makes reference to and the branch [1] that seems to be
relevant are dating at the epoch of 2.8 (latests tage). It will not build
against a 5.10 kernel as is.

[1] https://github.com/tahini/lttng-modules/tree/addons_vm

The changes introduced by this do not seem to be in upstream lttng-modules, at
least based on the code I am reading.

You will need the input from Genevieve Bastien on this.

--
Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS