Re: [sumo-user] Closing gui

This looks related to the way in which you launch sumo from matlab and not like something that can be solved via sumo options.
Once you call traci.close() the simulation is supposed to end.
About the only thing I can think of for the symptoms you observe, is that  sumo hangs while trying to write output to a file and that file is blocked by another process.