Re: [sumo-user] Secure gap, brake gap and stopping distance

> Is there a difference between secure gap, brake gap and stopping distance (from kinematics)?

- brakeGap: for a given speed, the distance until stopping when braking with constant deceleration 'decel'
- stopping distance: same as above for Krauss. Some cfModels take longer to stop since they do not brake with constant deceleration.
- secure gap: the distance that allows safe braking if the leader vehicle suddenly starts to brake. Roughly speaking, the following holds: egoSpeed * tau + egoBrakeGap = secureGap + leaderBrakeGap.
  Depends strongly on leaderSpeed

For details on the code, see MSCFModel.h and .cpp

SecureGap has no meaning if there is no leader vehicle

Decel is the preferred/comfortable maximum deceleration used in motion planning. emergencyDecel is the upper limit on deceleration in emergency situations

regards,
Jakob