Von: sumo-user <sumo-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> im Auftrag von Jakob Erdmann <namdre.sumo@xxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2021 20:30:11
An: Sumo project User discussions
Betreff: Re: [sumo-user] Sumo crashes because of KraussPS car-following model

It's a bug. Please provide a minimal input example for reproducing the crash.

Am Mi., 1. Dez. 2021 um 16:56 Uhr schrieb Schaniel Joel <joelsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi everybody,

I work on a network in hilly terrain with very steep roads. Therefore, I included elevation data in my network file with --heightmap.geotiff. Netconvert generates some warnings in the process, which might be related to the problem:

Warning: 22 total messages of type: Connection '%' has a grade of %%.
Warning: 2280 total messages of type: Edge '%' has a grade of %%.

Here is my first question: Why do these warnings appear, even though --geometry.max-grade.fix is activated? Or are these warnings just generated before the edges get fixed and I can simply ignore them?

However, I tried to run the simulation with these warnings. I use the "KraussPS" car-following model to include the slope impacts on acceleration. But when I run it, the simulation (and also sumo itself) crashes always at the same simulation step without any error message. (with sumo-gui as well as with sumo)

If I run the same simulation with the normal "Krauss" car-following model, the simulation runs through without any problems.
If I run the same simulation without elevation data, KraussPS works also fine (obviously).
Any idea why this could be?
I tried to understand how the KraussPS car-following works, but I did not manage to apprehend it completely, to be honest. From the comments in the code, I understand that there are mechanisms in place that prevent vehicles from stalling or drastic changes in the vehicle speed.

I work with a Nightly "extra" Build of version 1.11.0 (17.11.21) on Win10.

Thanks a lot for taking the time!

Best regards,
Joel