Re: [sumo-user] Safe distance for a trucker (headway)

I'd guess that in this rule of thumb, truck length is a proxy for weight and hence deceleration capability.
Since the relationship between decel, speed and headway isn't linear in speed, you'll find it easier to reproduce the linear rule-of-thumb gaps with different values of tau for different lengths of truck.
Though, when following the physics, modeling it with different values of decel for different sizes of truck should be a better fit for reality.
Per my understanding the trucker rule is just an easy-to-calculate approximation for the physics.