Re: [sumo-user] Potential danger in not using minGap

It depends on the car-follow model.
The Krauss model treats the minGap as inviolable, hence setting it to 0 does not lead to crashing as long as tau > action-step-length. The downside would be that the cars are extremely close when in a standing queue (because the tau value only affects moving vehicles).
Other models such as IDM do not guarantee minGap so you might see crashes at low speed (just a guess, I did not test this).

A recent analysis by my colleague of jams in the highD dataset (https://www.highd-dataset.com/) gave a fit of
gap = 3.9m + 1.04*speed (with high variance, though)

regards,
Jakob