Re: [sumo-user] Strategic lane changing

Hello,
this is a limitation of the current architecture:
- whenever a lane has two follower lanes (i.e. 0 and 2 after the first junction) that choice is taken only with strategic considerations: lanes are compared by the distance that can be driven there without lane-changing without regard to any vehicles.
- in most cases the two lanes are next to each other so subsequent lane-changing can adapt to other considerations (i.e. speed on either lane)
In your network such lane-changing is not possible due to the in-between tram lane.

I would argue that in most cases, flow on the first junction is not reduced by this because those vehicles are coming from only one lane to begin with.
Only if the speeds are very heterogeneous or vehicles are schedule to stop, could the flow be increased with better lane/connection choice.

I do agree that things could be improved: https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/7157

regards,
Jakob