Re: [sumo-user] Route errors using flowrouter.py

--vclass passenger is the correct way to put that option.
The automatic sink detection looks for edges without successor edge to identify sinks. You can often create sinks by removing turn-around connections a the fringe of the network (there are also netconvert options for this) .
Alternatively, you can specify the sources and sinks explicitly but loading detectors that are classified as source or sink.

However, if you're starting from scratch I would recommend to use routeSampler.py instead of flowrouter for urban scenarios because it makes it easier to achieve realistic routes (hitting the counts is often not enough for a good simulation).

regards,
Jakob