Re: [sumo-user] '--no-internal-links' suppress the insertion of new vehicles?

When simulating without internal links then the end of an incoming lane is directly connected with the start of an outgoing lane and there a vehicle can be half on either lane as you conjectured correctly.
However, even in this case, cross traffic can still flow across the intersection (because the intervening intersection space is not modeled).
Because cross traffic can always flow, there is no code to prevent vehicles from getting stuck halfway on the intersection.

In contrast, when simulating with internal links, there is an extra behavior module that prevents driving onto the intersection when the downstream link has insufficient space.

Note, that gridlock can always happen if a traffic jam loops back on itself. (A simple case would be a roundabout that is completely filled and has come to a standstill.
When no vehicle can reach the desired exit you have a deadlock. The same applies to bigger meshes in the road network.

regards,
Jakob