[sumo-user] altering junction shape with netedit

Dear sumo users,
 i want to know what happens if i increase the length of internal edges of a junction in .net.xml file. will it increase the junction area . i couldnt visualise any difference in SUMO Gui.
 my another query is, i changed junction shape(of a normal 4 way intersection ) to square (of some big size than actual) using custom junction shape in netedit. will it increase the junction area?  i also changed custom shape of lane connectionns  so that they cover entire square length.  when i simulated some vehicles in the network ,  i observed the vehicles going behind the square shape at junction.  what is the reason.   i feel cu stom shape is just for visualization.  is my understanding correct?
kindly clarify me.
  with thanks
M S Thilagavathy
Research scholar