Re: [sumo-user] What happens if the default.action-step-length is smaller than the step-length

Just the other way around.
step-length is the simulation update frequency and action-step-length is the frequency for changing behavior. However, if you just want to reduce the frequency of traci requests, you only need to set
step-length 0.01
and in traci call
traci.simulationStep(traci.simulation.getTime() + 1)
to run your script with 1s resolution.

regards,
Jakob