Re: [sumo-user] Change lane to the free lane

1) the traci function vehicle.couldChangeLane(vehID, direction) tells you exactly that (direction = 1 means change to the left, and -1 change to the right)
2) lane changing never changes the route. The vehicle will always try to return to the correct lane for continuing its route.

regards,
Jakob

Dear Sumo developers,

1-I am trying to force a vehicle to change its lane through TraCI and think changeLaneRelative is the best option that I have, but before applying left, or right I need to know which one (left or right) is free at that moment next to the vehicle (like a real world scenario, a lane might be very long and about 900m upstream may be congested but because the driver cannot see that and the left lane is empty at that moment they change their lanes)?

2-The next question, how can I be sure about the duration in this function to be short enough not to change the route?

Many thanks
Mohsen