Re: [sumo-user] New SUMO User from OHIO

Hello,
1)
- after you're through the Tutorials there is still a lot of documentation to be read. At least skimming over the pages linked at http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/SUMO_User_Documentation will give you a much better Idea about what can be accomplished and how.
- see http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Data/Scenarios
- visit the SUMO User conference in May, 14-16, 2018 in Berlin (there will be a tutorial).

2) It can be done in Netedit by specifying custom geometry endpoints for all edges (by default all geometries run straight to the node position causing the lateral offsets). See http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/NETEDIT#Specifying_the_complete_geometry_of_an_edge_including_endpoints

3) The most common approach to modelling autonomous vehicles in sumo is to reduce time-headways by setting a lower value for the 'tau' parameter and to reduce unnecessary braking by setting sigma=0.
Familiarize yourself with the vehicle parameters (http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Definition_of_Vehicles,_Vehicle_Types,_and_Routes#Vehicle_Types) and you will get additional ideas for how to model AV.
As for measuring:
- get some real world data (we cannot help you with that)
- compare it with appropriate simulation outputs: http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Output

regards,
Jakob

Hello everyone,

I hope you guys are doing well,

I have a few questions:

  1. I have been through the tutorials in SUMO_Documentation, are there any places I can learn from, maybe repositories or someone who likes to be bugged by a noob.
  2. Can you make this geometry straight (I tried on netedit but I couldn't).
  3. I want to do some research on how Autonomous Vehicles (AVs) impact congestion, queue length, carpooling, carbon emission, delay, cumulative waiting time, and other stuff like this. How to define an AV (characteristics) and how to measure these factors?

Thank you,

Tariq R Rahimi
Graduate Student
Department of Civil Engineering