[sparkplug-wg] Does Ignition honor payload/metric is_transient flag?

Good afternoon sparkplug working group. It’s an honor to post my first question here today 😊.

  • All stars aligned for MQTT and Ignition.
  • Successfully storing historical tags to an MySQL db.
  • Everything looks great.
  • I am very new to MQTT/Sparkplug/Ignition.

The MQTT to Ignition mapping appears to honor the is_null flag.

With an Ignition MQTT Engine configuration change, Ignition appears to honor the is_historical flag and bypasses the Tag update.

It appears to not honor or have a way to utilize the is_transient flag.

Question: Does Ignition honor the is_transient flag for its intended use case within Sparkplug specification?

I don’t see natively where Ignition has a similar flag that can be used to indicate that Ignition should not store this particular metric.

I will post this to Cirrus Link and Ignition directly, but I sense a better chance of someone here already knows the answer.

Research:
https://docs.chariot.io/display/CLD79/FAQ%3A+Sparkplug

I did find this…but its referring to a Template which I’m not sure of its relevance to a DDATA metric.

Sincerely,

Leland Falde

Our use case.

We publish EventStart (where 20% of metrics are set)
We publish EventIntraData (where 20% more of metrics are changing)

We publish EventEnd (where 100% of metrics are finally set)

EventStart:

Topic

Topic (cont)

Start

Intra (every .1 sec)

End

Is_transient = true

Is_transient = true

Is_transient = false

spBv1.0/group1/DBIRTH/node1/device1/

eventName/Start

Set

eventName/End

Set

eventName/Number

Set

eventName/Metric1

Set

Updated

Updated

eventName/Metric2

Set

Updated

Updated

eventName/Metric3

Set

Updated

Updated

… aggregates/results

Set

eventName/t_stamp

I am sending the complete eventName/{metricset} at EventEnd…with a new matching t_stamp for all metrics.

I was hoping that the Ignition system would update the live tags for is_transient = true…but not take into consideration for historian.

My current course of action, unless I learn something different from this mailing group, is to separate the Start/Intra/End into an EventStatus topic and publish the EventReport at End.

Leland D. Falde

Senior Software Developer

Miller Electric Mfg. LLC  An ITW Welding Company

500 East Biddle Street, Jackson, MI 49203  Phone: 920.257.5284  Mobile: 517.745.4442

MillerWelds.com  │  Facebook  │  Twitter  │  YouTube

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us.

If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.

Back to the top