Re: [servlet-dev] [jakartaee-platform-dev] What do we exactly dislike in Servlet?

On Mon, 5 Sept 2022, 17:40 Mark Thomas, <markt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did some very rough benchmarks in my blog(s) on an early version of
> Loom: https://webtide.com/do-looms-claims-stack-up-part-1/
> <https://webtide.com/do-looms-claims-stack-up-part-1/>  But more current
> and more thorough evaluation is needed.

Thanks for the pointers. I think repeating some of those benchmarks with
the latest version of Loom would be a good place to start.

In terms of a more thorough evaluation, what did you have in mind? What
sort of use case do you think async would handle better than Loom? I'd
like to examine those to see if we can put some objective numbers on the
differences and get some feedback from the OpenJDK folks.

I guess the cometd chat test is a fairly reasonable test that has many mostly idle connections that to hold them in a blocking style involves a non trivial stack.

However as it supports both async and blocking transports, it may be that it is optimized for neither.   So setting up a similar problem, but using dedicated loom vs async implementations might give more insight.

I'm on sebatical until October, but will start by reproducing the tests from my blog once I'm back.

Cheers

Back to the top