Re: [servlet-dev] Path Parameters

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 05:59, Raymond Augé <raymond.auge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure it brings significant value to the discussion other than to warn that at least one downstream spec seems to require this construct.

Thanks for the concrete example of usage.  I don't think path parameters are frequently used, but they are definitely used in some cases.    So I do think we need to continue to support them, ast least in un decoded URI methods.

The issue remains for me that there is now no formal definition of them or their syntax.   So unless we can convince the IETF to quickly write a new RFC that does define them, I think the next version of the servlet spec should include the ABNF definition from the obsoleted RFC as an appendix or similar:

      path          = [ abs_path | opaque_part ]
      path_segments = segment *( "/" segment )
      segment       = *pchar *( ";" param )
      param         = *pchar
      pchar         = unreserved | escaped |