Re: [servlet-dev] @Priority for ServletContainerInitializer

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 16:12, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:01 PM Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is simpler and I think sufficient.

What about ServletContainerInitializers that originate from different .jar files in the web application? How can such a ServletContainerInitializer declare it wants to run before the system or library ServletContainerInitializers?

So as a group they would be ordered as "others" in the fragment list.   Then between the SCIs within others, there is no defined ordering.   We could leave it as undefined and just say that if you want an order then create a fragment descriptor....  or we could define an arbitrary order just so they always are ordered the same way: alphabetical on module name (or base jar name)?

I'm on the fence on this one.... but then the number of times I've seen a bug because a comparator does care and returns 0 for non equal items...  So we probably should define an ordering.

cheers