Re: [servlet-dev] Milestone release - primarily for JSP

No objections from me.

Stuart

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 19:50, Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

JSP needs a Servlet 5 milestone release so it can start its own
migration to the jakarta.* namespace.

I've just completed the process of releasing Jakarta EL 4.0.0.M1 (also
required by JSP) so I'd like to propose I do the same for Servlet.

I'll need to:
a) update the version number to 5.0.0.M1-SNAPSHOT;
b) tweak the CI system to handle incrementing the version number
   correctly;
c) generate the 5.0.0.M1 release; and
d) update the version number to 5.0.0.M2-SNAPSHOT.

a) and d) will need another committer to approve my PRs.
b) and c) I should be able to do myself

The CI system will create a tag and a branch for 5.0.0.M1. I intend to
delete the branch since i) we won't be doing any development on it and
ii) we can recreate it from the tag in the unlikely event we need it.

Thoughts?

If there aren't any objections I'd like to get started on this towards
the end of the week.

Note: There is a discussion on the project leads list whether it should
be 5.0.0.M1 or 5.0.0-M1. -M1 is the Maven convention although .M1 is
used by some projects (and is equivalent) and .M1 also requires fewer
changes to the standard CI jobs to support.

Mark