Re: [science-iwg] What about LGPL?

Jay,

Re-licensing is an option of course. We did that for a group of projects in LocationTech. In those cases, the copyright was consolidated to a single organization in each case so re-licensing fortunately did not require asking all authors for permission. Asking each author can be incredibly onerous.

Another important precedent here has been the Polarsys working group which received board approval for distributing LGPL software. In that case, it had to be done under a name/namespace/brand other than Eclipse. I think it's fair to say this was a very big deal and hard earned.

Mike's a better person to comment on if things have changed regarding LGPL at the Eclipse Foundation today. I suspect not.

LocationTech is a milder example. It has board permission to distribute software under MIT, BSD, and Apache licenses in addition to EPL. It also has permission to use some specific LGPL licensed third party prerequisites.

Andrew