Re: [science-iwg] Key outcomes from today's meeting

Hi,

>From a Diamond standpoint, we would like to be a solutions member, so it is not an issue for us and we will try to take part in the group.

However Universities make up much of our user and developer base, there is relevant talent there which would not have buy-in and would not contribute domain expertise if a fee was enforced for their participation.

There is some likelihood that we cannot reach the goal of a scientific inter-operable layer without the academics. Therefore in the case where associate members cannot be voting participants of the science group, we should consider removing the inter-operable part of the scope.

The group is still valid without this scope but changed in role, perhaps more of a forum for networking than a place to agree standards (as I say nothing wrong with that!). Those of us in the academic world could then consider if we still want to hang out and agree standards at meetings outside the eclipse foundation, the obvious one being how to agree to describe data in Java.

Sincerely,

Matt

Ola, Everyone

The draft proposes the following for such cases:

The University would become an Associate Member of the Eclipse
Foundation, and be invited by the Steering Committee (SC) to be a Guest
member for the Science Group.

The 1 year term (rather than permanent) is an opportunity for the SC to
evaluate if that member is still active with the group. Active members
don't need to rejoin, the SC renews them.

I think it's fair to say people were comfortable with this so far.

At issue is whether a Guest member has the same voting rights as a
Participating member.

Andrew