Re: [riena-dev] OSGI 4.2 Distributed Services

Hi Christian,

Christian Campo wrote:
We have RFC 119 (which is the spec in 4.2. for distributed services) on our radar for quit some time now (say summer 2008). As you may now ECF is working really hard to have a working RFC 119 implementation for 3.5 although it seems that their schedule is really really tight.

We (ECF) are now distributing the RFC 119 classes (i.e. org.osgi.service.discovery.* and org.osgi.service.distribution.*) and implementations of RFC 119 discovery and distribution (in org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery and org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.service.distribution) in our daily, integration, and milestone builds for 3.5. In other words, RFC 119 support (both discovery and distribution) will be fully present in ECF 3.0/Eclipse 3.5.

We are working right now to test and fully debug these implementations...and they will be ready and working for EclipseCon. The discovery implementation will include both support for zeroconf and slp-based discovery (two existing providers of the ECF discovery API). The distribution implementation will allow distribution by ECF generic, r-OSGI, XMPP, and JMS-based providers (existing providers of the ECF remote services API). Any other (i.e. commercial) providers will also be automatically usable for RFC 119-based discovery and distribution.

As I've said previously, I think it would be expedient for Riena to simply implement the necessary subset of the ECF remote services API (org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservices), and at that point Riena clients would also automatically be able to reuse the being-completed support for RFC 119. It might be a good way for us to save you some work...and have some inter-rt-project collaboration at the same time.

Scott

Back to the top