Re: [rest-dev] @Context removal vs. deprecation

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 10:36 AM Markus Karg <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IIUC then the problem is not the deprecation itself (which is easy) but the missing existance of a replacement?

Correct and I keep leaving this off when I say this :) By deprecation for this, I really mean adding the @Deprecated(forRemoval = true) to the annotations themselves so it's very clear to users this is going to be removed.

So shouldn't we concentrate more on building that recplacement *first*?

I'd agree with this. It's something that is about half done in RESTEasy. There are some spec details we need to work out, but as you said that would fall into the "concentrate more on building the replacement first".

-Markus

Von: James Perkins [mailto:jperkins@xxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. März 2024 19:24
An: Jakarta Rest project developer discussions
Cc: Markus Karg
Betreff: Re: [rest-dev] @Context removal vs. deprecation

The issue of simply removing it is there is no migration path. That would mean the MicroProfile would not work with Jakarta REST until the MicroProfile API's and implementations can move to the latest Jakarta REST APi. That would likely mean you can't run a MicroProfile deployment in the Jakarta EE $next container if @Context is removed.

Having it deprecated first with a replacement, gives the opportunity for other projects to catch up before the removal and have a path forward.