Re: [rdf4j-dev] Issues with IntelliJ and Maven

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, at 16:25, Håvard Ottestad wrote:
Hi,

I’m having some issues with IntelliJ lately. It keeps complaining that it can’t find classes (from dependencies) even though everything is actually fine. Sometimes the only way to solve the issue is to restart IntelliJ, reimport all the dependencies and rebuild the entire project.
I was wondering if maybe IntelliJ is getting confused since we list a repository for snapshot builds in our top pom.xml and maybe the issue is that it is downloading or caching older snapshot builds.

When did this start happening?

The reason I ask is that fairly recently (about three weeks ago), as part of cleanup, I removed the build number plugin from our build/deployment cycle, to speed things up. See https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/commit/f4a68c07ebee3d91e55a0ddd73d3681001c9677e#diff-9c5fb3d1b7e3b0f54bc5c4182965c4fe1f9023d449017cece3005d3f90e8e4d8.

Normally having a build number shouldn't be necessary (maven should be smart enough to work with timestamps to figure out what the most recent snapshot is), but perhaps this is what's causing IntelliJ to get confused. If so, we can reinstate it (it wasn't breaking anything, I removed it just to speed the build up a little).

So I was wondering if I could comment out the repository from the pom.xml file?

As far as I understand the only practical difference this makes is that you would have to build all your dependent modules instead of downloading the latest snapshot build from the repository. Please correct me if I’m wrong though!

This repo definition is also used to drive the publication of snapshot builds. Rather than completely removing it, you will need to move it into the ossrh profile so that the deployment procedure at least can still use it.

Any chance I could try this fix and see if it helps (eg. commit it to main and develop). We can always reverse it if it doesn’t help.

I think rolling back the build number plugin removal is a better first step. If that doesn't work, we can try changing the repositories section.

Cheers,

Jeen

Back to the top