Re: [rdf4j-dev] Using pull request approval more

Hi Jeen and everyone else,

I’m good with this, and it will make things more explicit.

It will affect turn around time though. You (Jeen) are the one to review 99% of my code. Sometimes I catch you in my evening or morning, but usually I will have to wait 12-24 hours for feedback at a minimum.

I would like to propose that we don’t need to switch platforms. Pinging on GitHub should be enough. And furthermore I propose a Cart Blanche to merge if no one has responded in 48 hours.

During the time that you were away, and James had taken over most of the coding, there weren’t really that many other people doing code review. Explicit approval wouldn’t have worked back then. Today we are in a better place wrt. resources. Though we are still far away from the bigger players who have multiple paid employees working on their open source projects.

Fixing things after they are merged is also mostly fine. We shouldn’t aim for it, but I still say it’s mostly fine. We also used to do this a bit more frequently before we got the current GitHub actions setup to detect all test failures automatically and quickly.

Håvard