Re: [ptp-user] PTP parallel debugging on OS X 10.8

Oh. now i see that you said at the bottom that just running it from eclipse/ptp worked.
Still would like to know mpi version

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Beth Tibbitts---02/19/2013 11:09:41 AM---Hi Tomasz, sorry you are having trouble. Let's start at the Beth Tibbitts---02/19/2013 11:09:41 AM---Hi Tomasz, sorry you are having trouble. Let's start at the beginning. Sounds like you are running M

Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

02/19/2013 11:09 AM

Re: [ptp-user] PTP parallel debugging on OS X 10.8

    Sent by:

ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Tomasz, sorry you are having trouble.
Let's start at the beginning. Sounds like you are running MPI locally on your Mac. What version of MPI do you have? (OpenMPI?)
See
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Parallel_Tools_Platform_FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_install_Open_MPI.3F
Can you compile and run a small mpi program from the command line?

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform
http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Tomasz Koziara ---02/19/2013 10:55:19 AM---Hi I spent today having my second go on trying to do MPI dTomasz Koziara ---02/19/2013 10:55:19 AM---Hi I spent today having my second go on trying to do MPI debugging with PTP on OS X. A year ago trie

Tomasz Koziara <t.koziara@xxxxxxxxx>

ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx,

02/19/2013 10:55 AM

[ptp-user] PTP parallel debugging on OS X 10.8
    Sent by:

ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I spent today having my second go on trying to do MPI debugging with PTP on OS X. A year ago tried on Darwin (and failed - but perhaps did not try hard enough). Today it was on the newest 10.8.2 system.

What I did:

1. Installed the newest Eclipse 6.0.2
   => This is done in to my $HOME/Devel/eclipse
2. Installed the PTP-specific update as mentioned on
http://www.eclipse.org/ptp/downloads.php
   => I did only this update and tried to debug MPI Hello world - but it did not work (details below)
   => Then I noticed that "Check for Updates" still shows one possible "parallel environment update" which I also installed
         (MPI Hello wouldn't still work)
  => Q1: Should I go only for the PTP-specific update or should I install all possible updates?
3. Before trying to debug anything I installed sdm (downloaded newest ptp-proxy):
  => First I compiled sdm in my temp directory and moved the "bin/sdm" directory into my eclipse directory (and used this path)
  => Then I found out that the user documentation says:

If you are debugging on the local machine, this path should point to the sdm executable in your Ecilpse installation'splugins/org.eclipse.ptp.os.arch_version/bin directory, where os.arch_version is your operating system (linux, macosx, or aix), architecture (x86, x86_64, or ppc), and version number of the plugin (e.g. 5.0.0.201106080812).

       So on one of the subsequent todays reinstallations of eclipse I actually unzipped ptp-proxy and compiled and left it there. This also did not work.

4. Just to add the: ssh server is enabled on my laptop and I can "log into it" from eclipse when initialising the parallel debug environment.

When I try to debug the auto-generated MPI Hello world program, I am getting this error:

26ee4d88-e731-4750-8938-59a7872ca44f: FAILED
#PTP job_id=36436

mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
that caused that situation.

Running the application in parallel works. Debugging it in serial mode also seems to work. I would appreciate some hints on why doesn't parallel debugging just work?

Best regards,
Tomek