Re: [ptp-dev] Problem with Linux remote build from Windows 7 client

The toolchain is still used in part for makefile builds. One of those ways is for environment variables. Another way is for scanner discovery.

By default, the environment will be whatever was set on the remote machine. The user can make changes to it to add/remove variables.

Without using one of the remote toolchains, managed build will get the environment variables and scanner discovery stuff (if it even works properly) from the local machine, which is not what you want for a remote project.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Inactive hide details for "Jay Alameda" ---05/24/2011 03:43:47 PM---But, Chris, this is for a makefile build.  We should really"Jay Alameda" ---05/24/2011 03:43:47 PM---But, Chris, this is for a makefile build. We should really just be inheriting the environment prese

"Jay Alameda" <jalameda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Parallel Tools Platform general developers'" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

05/24/2011 03:43 PM

Re: [ptp-dev] Problem with Linux remote build from Windows 7 client

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

But, Chris, this is for a makefile build. We should really just be inheriting the environment present on the machine,
Jay

Parallel Tools Platform general developers
Re: [ptp-dev] Problem with Linux remote build from Windows 7 client

The Remote toolchains have an environment variable supplier that causes Managed Build to get the variables from the remote system. That is why the toolchain matters.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Inactive hide details for Roland Schulz ---05/24/2011 03:02:23 PM---I'm getting the same on Windows. And I don't think it depenRoland Schulz ---05/24/2011 03:02:23 PM---I'm getting the same on Windows. And I don't think it depends on the toolchain.

Roland Schulz <roland@xxxxxxx>

05/24/2011 03:02 PM

Re: [ptp-dev] Problem with Linux remote build from Windows 7 client

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm getting the same on Windows. And I don't think it depends on the toolchain.

RemoteMakeBuilder line 335 ( remoteEnvMap.putAll(envMap); ) replaces the environment. envMap comes from ManagedBuildManager.getEnvironmentVariableProvider().getVariables(configuration, true). This command returns the local environment variables. Thus the remote environment variables are set to the local environment variables. Because the local environment variables under Windows include odd characters like e.g. parenthesis and RemoteTools doesn't espace those characters correctly one gets this error message:

/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Thus I think this is caused by two problems:
- at least in some cases the local environment is exported to the side (which doesn't seem to make sense in any case)
- RemoteTools doesn't escape strings correctly before it passes it to /bin/sh

Roland

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Jay Alameda <