Re: [ptp-dev] Juno will be Eclipse 4.2-based -- FYI/heads up

I'm not against moving to GIT, but GIT does not solve the patch problem for non-committers. The system is setup so that non-committers cannot push anything to the master repository. Non-committer contributors will still have to submit patches for review and IP logging. When it comes to the sponsoring committer taking the contributor's changes into his or her own private repository, it's up to them as to whether they take the content from the patch or grab it from someone's repo, but patches will still need to exist and we can't just take large dumps of contributed code from non-committers without going through the proper IP reviews, etc. Lines of code need to be individually trackable to who wrote them.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Inactive hide details for Roland Schulz ---05/06/2011 06:16:08 PM---while talking about Juno: CDT intends to switch to GIT for Roland Schulz ---05/06/2011 06:16:08 PM---while talking about Juno: CDT intends to switch to GIT for Juno. I strongly feel we should do this

Roland Schulz <roland@xxxxxxx>

05/06/2011 06:16 PM

Re: [ptp-dev] Juno will be Eclipse 4.2-based -- FYI/heads up

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

while talking about Juno:

CDT intends to switch to GIT for Juno. I strongly feel we should do this too.

We have several people in our group which have contributed to PTP but are not committer. To coordinate this work we have been using GIT for a while, because CVS doesn't allow us to setup our own repository . Having our own repository means that everyone can commit. After a task is completed a patch is uploaded to bugzilla (as it would without GIT). Without our own GIT server we would be forced to do send around patches within the team all the time. This would make coordinate work within the team almost impossible.

I think the same applies for any other people who are interested to contribute but are not (yet) committer.

Thus moving to GIT would
- Make it easier for non-committer to contribute
- Allow better team collobration (non-committer can contribute, branches, ...)
- Makes life much easier if GIT is already used internally anyhow

We would gain additional advantages if we would use some of the tools (e.g. gerrit)/workflows (made possible by fast branching) possible with GIT. But just the option to have a private repository without the difficulties of importing from CVS would be a huge advantage from our point.

Roland