Re: [ptp-dev] resource_manager.xsd version 5 questions/comments

Yes, option 2 for storing the selection of which attributes to display seems like the preferable option to me since the attribute set is a characteristic of the resource manager not of the application specified in the run configuration. This way a user will see the same set of attributes for a resource manager regardless what application/run configuration is selected. This might be confusing in that changing the set of  attributes in one run configuration changes what's seen in another run configuration, but I'm not sure that seeing different sets of attributes for a specific resource manager in different run configurations is any less confusing.
Dave

From: "Albert L. Rossi" <arossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 01/27/2011 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ptp-dev] resource_manager.xsd version 5 questions/comments
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, I agree with values being specific to the run configuration (that's what I did with PBS too).  But that wasn't my question, exactly. But if I can deduce your meaning, you are saying that the attribute set is specific to an RM.  So if there is a control which allows the user to choose which of those attributes to display, that should be valid for the RM, whatever Launch Tab it is used with.  In other words, you think (2) is the correct mapping.

I agree that this probably makes more sense, except that the user may be surprised by the fact that the Launch Tab is allowing her to reconfigure something which is going to affect other Launch Tabs using the same RM.

An early version of the PBS RM did not provide this selection capability through the Launch Tab, but rather in the RM configuration wizard; while less confusing, it meant that every time the user wishes to modify exactly which of the available advanced attributes get displayed, the RM must be shut down, then restarted.