Re: [ptp-dev] ptp-dev Digest, Vol 68, Issue 3

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:41:30 -0400
> From: Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ptp-dev] java proxy dependencies
>
> I think my preference would be to try the compression option first. Do you know if this is able to reduce the jar to a reasonable size?

I guess you are talking about the pack200 option I suggested earlier?:

> Alternatively I would suggest using a 'brute-force' approach using
> pack200 + Gzip. I regularly use a combination of dependency jar
> extraction, obfuscation and pack200 in my build processes while the
> latter has the biggest impact in jar size.
>
> I think pack200 is a JSR that came with Java5. Since I used a lot of
> Generics when writing the proxy every client of our proxy should be
> Java5 or later. From experience a 30MB jar file containing only .class
> files should end up between 4-8 MB in size if you use pack200+Gzip
> correctly. The rt.jar file that ships with every JRE comes pack200
> compressed in the installer with a compressed size of around 10MB I
> think.

I will use this jar http://129.206.117.40:2222/test/test.jar for
compression and report back. Only *.class files are very well
compressed with pack200. Other files, like images and *.dll, are not
so well compressed.  I will probably remove not needed files like
(*.dll) before compression.

Back to the top