Re: [ptp-dev] install features

On Sep 22, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Beth Tibbitts wrote:

If they don't plan to do any remote work, then this always gives them the Remote C/C++ editor by default, doesn't it?
Do we want that?

>in most cases PTP users will also be RDT users
I don't know that this is true. Especially in learning situations e.g. university courses, on Mac or Linux an MPI program could run locally without needing RDT.

I should have said that they would be RDT users, but even if they aren't there would be no harm in having RDT there but not being used.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

<graycol.gif>Greg Watson ---09/22/2010 04:14:43 PM---I've been thinking about the features issue again and have come up with a different plan. Originally

<ecblank.gif>
From:
<ecblank.gif>
Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<ecblank.gif>
To:
<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>
Date:
<ecblank.gif>
09/22/2010 04:14 PM
<ecblank.gif>
Subject:
<ecblank.gif>
[ptp-dev] install features
<ecblank.gif>
Sent by:
<ecblank.gif>
ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I've been thinking about the features issue again and have come up with a different plan. Originally I was suggesting that we have three options: PTP, RDT, or PTP+RDT (plus some minor features). However on further reflection, I think this is overly complex also, since in most cases PTP users will also be RDT users.

My second proposal is therefore that we have only two features: "PTP+RDT" and "RDT only". Although RDT has RSE dependencies, so installing PTP would implicitly install some RSE plugins, I don't think this is as much of a disadvantage as a confusing install process. Also, this is only what will be installed from the Helios/Indigo update site. Users are still able to choose to install any individual components from the PTP update site.

Thoughts?

Greg