[ptp-dev] PTP Call - Photran Status

I won't be able to make the PTP call today, but here's a quick update on Photran.

- All 120 students in Ralph's Software Engineering class are going to be building refactorings in Photran this semester.  (!)  The purpose of the class project is to force the students to work in teams on a fairly large and nontrivial project, so they have to learn about reverse engineering, configuration management, automated testing, etc.

That and my research work have been all-consuming for the past few weeks, and probably will be for the next couple.  As for medium-term agenda items:

- We are working on some speed/scalability improvements to the indexer.

- I'm still planning to have one of our undergrads finish our Windows Installer package containing Eclipse+Photran and MinGW+make+gfortran+gdb.

More work on the C preprocessor, fixed form refactoring, and remote support are still on the longer-term agenda, but we don't have resources on those right now.  Since "remote support" means, in large part, making a remote indexer, we need to finish our changes to the local indexer before we seriously tackle remote support.  The speed improvements will be worth it, based on our initial measurements.

Jeff

Back to the top