Re: [ptp-dev] About resuing PTP job launch configuration

Jie,

I've thought about doing this many times, so it's great to hear you might be able to work on it. If you take a look at the PTP web page (eclipse.org/ptp), it still reads "an environment that simplifies the end-user interaction with parallel systems" even though we never managed to get this implemented.

My original plan was to create a stand-alone Eclipse RCP application that included the PTP runtime, launch and resource manager plugins. This "control panel" would use the Parallel Runtime perspective to monitor and launch applications on remote systems using the standard resource manager interface. I think a new launch configuration would be needed to provide the user with more control over the pre- and post-processing steps you mentioned, though I'm sure much of the current launch infrastructure could be reused. It's possible this could make use of the External Tools Framework (ETFw) to launch a visualization tool, etc.

I think the guys from Juelich would also be very interested in this also as they are working on enhancements to the PTP UI to display much more detailed information about the system and jobs running on it (see http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/llview/). Having both an IDE and a stand-alone application would be very useful for them I think.

Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Cheers,
Greg