Re: [ptp-dev] Breaking changes in CDT HEAD

I am curious what changed that broke you. So far our API tooling builds haven't been failing. If you're using something that's currently internal, we should look at making it an official API.

Actually we're using a LOT of stuff that's currently internal... mainly we subclass various classes from the CDT UI (or just reference the CDT classes directly in plugin.xml) and change labels from "C/C++" to "Fortran."  I think there are a couple of classes we had to actually copy and modify, but most of it's just subclassed with one or two methods overridden.  Anyway, the Fortran perspective, Fortran Projects view, Fortran launch configuration and launch actions, project property pages, etc. are all done this way.

All of this is in the org.eclipse.photran.cdtinterface project if you want to look around, mainly in these packages and, of course, in its nightmarish plugin.xml.
  • org.eclipse.photran.internal.cdtinterface.ui
  • org.eclipse.photran.internal.cdtinterface.launch
  • org.eclipse.photran.internal.cdtinterface.ui.editor
I apologize in advance for what a horrible hack some of it is.  The refactoring engine and the parts of Photran I actually care about are much better designed.  I promise.  :-)  Eventually I'd like to figure out the "right" way to do share some of this UI between CDT and Photran, but so far the goal has been "just get it working without any changes to CDT so you can focus on refactoring and writing a dissertation."

So if you want to talk about making API for some of the things we're trying to do, I'm completely open to it.  In the cases where we're doing something naughty but doing it "right" will require some time-consuming, invasive change to CDT, we can continue hijacking your internal classes and dealing with the consequences... no problem...

Jeff

Back to the top