Re: [ptp-dev] release status

We do have several issues with deferring PTP 2.1. This is because our VPA
tool will have a dependency on PTP 2.1 in our next planned release, which
is scheduled for next week. The linkage to PTP was specifically requested
by the Cell team and we committed to have that all done by the end of this
month in sync with the Cell SDK 3.1 publication. So we'd miss our deadline
big time. We are also committed to put the same version of VPA onto the
next Power Pack which will be published in December but will freeze the
first or second week of November. So delaying PTP 2.1 would make us miss
that release too. And we can't put the previous release of VPA onto the
PowerPack because it didn't have Linux PPC support. This gets included at
the same time as the dependency with PTP.

Finally, we have a PERCS demo planned for 12/2,  where PTP is expected to
be showcased. In fact the request was to do the demo under PTP. So,
delaying the release until the end of November would be cutting it pretty
short and present a big risk for the demo.

So in summary it would be a major pain for us...
---
Luc Smolders
STSM, STG Performance Tools         (507) 253-2537
IBM Systems and Technology Group smolders@xxxxxxxxxx

AIX internal tools are at http://aixptools.austin.ibm.com/perf/html
Visual Performance Analyzer is at http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/vpa
Internal version of VPA is at http://cs.opensource.ibm.com/projects/vpa
Cell tools are at:
http://aixptools.austin.ibm.com/perf/w3_tools/cell_tools/

Chris Recoskie <recoskie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/30/2008 05:36 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] release status

+/-0 from me. Delaying doesn't really affect us. I have a preference for
delaying as I would rather see the tooling working end-to-end, but
wouldn't stand in the way of the release if someone feels strongly
otherwise.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/30/2008 05:06 PM

Please respond to

cc

Subject

[ptp-dev] release status

Hi all,

Here is the current list of bugs. At this stage it's looking like RDT and
PTP are basically independent. RDT can't use Remote Tools (even without
indexing) and the PTP debugger still needs to be remote enabled to work
with the RDT editor. Also, I have been unable to build the TAU Fortran
component (even with Vivian's help!)

So, do we want to go ahead and release as-is tomorrow? Please let me know
+1 or -1 for the release. I'm willing to take input from non-committers as
well. My view is that it would be better to delay things until we have
better integration, but I know some folks need a release for their
products.

If we go ahead, I'll spend the day updating the documentation. Otherwise I
will continue working on PTP/RDT integration issues.

Greg

ID
Sev
Pri
Assignee
Status
Resolution
OS
TargetM
Summary
241899
nor
P3
g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
ASSI

Mac
2.1RC4
PTP prereqs should not test just >= since it will accept eclipse/cdt "too
new"
251479
nor
P3
recoskie@xxxxxxxxxx
NEW

Mac
2.1RC3
Remote Call Hierarchy doesn't work on RC2
251592
nor
P3
g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
ASSI

All
2.1RC4
Importing existing remote project works with RSE but not Remote Tools
252073
nor
P3
g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx