Re: [ptp-dev] Problems/questions creating remote C project

Chris, Greg
I have this working now, including running my application. The only
problem I still see is that if I save the source file, Eclipse doesn't
automatically invoke make to rebuild the application. The only way I can
find to rebuild is to select project->clean and clean the project.
Dave

Chris Recoskie <recoskie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/30/2008 09:10 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] Problems/questions creating remote C project

Dave,

A few points:
The builder should not be changed, only the build command should be
changed. Only the remote makefile builder knows how to send the build
commands remotely, the other builders are local. On AIX, if you have GNU
make installed, the executable is called "gmake".
The RSE exception you mentio seems to happen from time to time, but seems
to be harmless. It's something in RSE itself, it doesn't reallly have
anything to do with RDT.
There is a CDT bug whereby if you try to create a new project in a
location where there already was a project at one time or another, the CDT
project description doesn't get created properly, and this causes havoc
with the builder. As a workaround, delete the old .project and .cproject
files in the directory before creating the project.
===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/30/2008 07:51 AM

Please respond to

cc

Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

Re: [ptp-dev] Problems/questions creating remote C project

Greg
I had created an empty remote project. thinking that was the reasonable
choice. I have createda remote makefile project and it works a bit better
but I still have problems. In project properties,/Tool chain editor, I
changed the Current Builder from Gnu Make Builder to Gnu Make since
nothing seems to happen when Gnu Make Builder (the default) was selected.
I also selected the XLC error parser since that wasn't selected by default
even though I selected the XLC toolchain when prompted in setting up the
project. I didn't change anything else in project properties and just
clicked thru to the last properties page and configured the remote
services there.

I also downloaded the latest (10/29) rdt server and installed that.

I created a simple Makefile
all: hello

hello: hello.c
xlc -o hello hello.c

When I save changes to my .c file, the makefile runs, but when the compile
finishes, I see the following exception on the rdt server xterm
java.io.IOException: Pipe closed
at java.io.PipedInputStream.read(PipedInputStream.java:263)
at com.ibm.jvm.io.ProcessInputStream.read(ProcessInputStream.java:92)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:89)
at
org.eclipse.rse.internal.dstore.universal.miners.command.OutputHandler.readLines(OutputHandler.java:165)

at
org.eclipse.rse.internal.dstore.universal.miners.command.OutputHandler.handle(OutputHandler.java:88)

at org.eclipse.dstore.core.model.Handler.finish(Handler.java:102)
at
org.eclipse.rse.internal.dstore.universal.miners.command.OutputHandler.handle(OutputHandler.java:106)

at org.eclipse.dstore.core.model.Handler.run(Handler.java:135)

I created a parallel run configuration and tried to run the program. When
I clicked run, Eclipse tried to comile the program. Make found nothing to
do. Then I got a message that the shell exited with rc 0 and my program
was not run.

While I was writing this email, I went into project properties and changed
the builder to Gnu Make Builder and couldn't get Eclipse to try to compile
the program, even after I changed the builder back to Gnu Make. I deleted
the project and created it again, but apparently missed something or did
something different than the first time since Eclipse still doesn't try to
compile my program. I have the C/C++ Build behavior panel configured to
build on resource save.

When I save the program source, I do see messages from the RDT server that
the source has been indexed.

Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/29/2008 08:52 PM

Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] Problems/questions creating remote C project

Dave,

When you created the remote project did you select the project type as
'Remote Makefile Project'? I think this is the only type of project
supported by RDT currently. This also means that the tool chain
information is not used, you have to put everything into the Makefile
instead.

Greg