Re: [ptp-dev] Empty catch in RangeSet constructor

Good idea.

Greg

On Jun 10, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Daniel Felix Ferber wrote:

Hi,

The org.eclipse.ptp.core.util.RangeSet constructor with string parameter contains two empty catch blocks. This was preventing me to identify an bug where the RangeSet was being instantiated with an invalid number as a machine ID.

Is there a special reason to swallow NumberFormatExceptions? If not, I wouldn't it make sense to log the error or to propagate/rethrow the exception as a RuntimeException?

Here is the code:
  public RangeSet(String str) {
      if (str != null) {
          String[] ranges = str.split(",");
          for (String range : ranges) {
              String[] vals = range.split("-");
              if (vals.length == 1) {
                  try {
                      add(Integer.parseInt(vals[0]));
                  } catch (NumberFormatException e) {
                  }
              } else {
                  try {
add(Integer.parseInt(vals[0]), Integer.parseInt(vals[1]));
                  } catch (NumberFormatException e) {
          }
      }
  }