Re: [ptp-dev] Proposing changes on MPI resource manager and runtime system

On May 8, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Daniel Felix Ferber wrote:

Hi Greg,

During the next days, I am going to work on some changes for
org.eclipse.ptp.rm.ompi.core and org.eclipse.ptp.rm.ompi.ui plugins.
I am looking for changing these two plugins to support several MPI
implementations.

Therefore, I would like share two proposals to know your opinion.

1) Create a generic MPI plugin, where details and behaviour for specific
MPI implentations are contributed by extension point(s).
The current org.eclipse.ptp.rm.ompi.core and org.eclipse.ptp.rm.ompi.ui
plugins would become an extension to this generic MPI plugin.
There would be only one Resource Manager and Runtime System. The generic MPI plugin would perform all common tasks and delegate specific actions
to classes defined in the extension point.
In the GUI, the user selects (eg in a combobox) which MPI implementation
is to be used.

or

2) Create only abstract classes that can be used to implement specific
MPI resource managers.
Each MPI specific plugin would have to create new Resource Manager and
Runtime Systems, inheriting the abstract classes or using a delegate
pattern to the generic classes.
In the GUI, the user would have to create a resource manager from among
several available MPI resource managers.

Personally, I prefer the first alternative. I would appreciate your
feedback to know what would be the best approach for PTP.

I think the first alternative is the way to go.

Greg

Back to the top