Re: [ptp-dev] [perf] Generalizing performance framework tools

OK I have checked in some of these changes. I have not moved any existing
stuff outside of 'internal'; please do at your leisure and let me know.
I don't want to break the tau-specific code.

I added ToolOptionsConstants and ToolOptionsUtilities.
I also took the liberty of modifying ToolMaker to use the new constants;
please have a look and assure that looks ok to you.  It seemed
straightforward.
Do you use these elsewhere? seems like you set them here so you ought to
retrieve them somewhere too, but maybe it's right there using the same
variables.
If you do retrieve them elsewhere then they should probably use the same
constants.

I also added the executable name as a key/value attribute pair in the
launch configuration as we discussed offline yesterday
I did this for CDT launches in PerformanceLaunchDelegate
and for parallel launches in ParallelPerformanceLaunchDelegate
I left comments around it in ParallelPerformanceLaunchDelegate since I
can't currently test this;
as you mentioned I had to manually construct the path+separator
+executableName to be symmetric with how cdt launch executables are stored.
Please have a look and remove the comments if it looks right to you.

I am checking in everything to HEAD; we should probably copy to ptp_2_0
branch before Greg does a maintenance build for 2_0, as I'd like these
fixes/updates to be in 2.0 if possible

..Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

             wspear
             <wspear@cs.uorego
             n.edu>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "Parallel Tools Platform general
             ptp-dev-bounces@e         developers" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/09/08 09:31 AM         Re: [ptp-dev] [perf] Generalizing
                                       performance framework tools

             Please respond to
              Parallel Tools
             Platform general
                developers
             <ptp-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Greetings Beth,

It's good to see some user feedback on the framework!

1:  Agreed, internal is not the place for that.
2:  There is already a utility class for the perf framework;
org.eclipse.ptp.perf.internal.BuildLaunchUtils.  Probably this should not
be in 'internal' either.  Right now it contains routines related to getting
tool paths and running tools, but I think it would be okay to add the
toolOption name getter there.  Alternatively, a new utility class for
argument management methods might go in the ToolOpts plugin, since the xml
definitions and argument naming fall under that.
3:  Yes, if there are constants clearly in the domain of the toolOptions
plugin they should have their own class in there.

Thanks for looking in to all this.  Feel free to make these changes.
Otherwise, I'll get to it myself hopefully this evening or tomorrow....

-Wyatt