Re: [ptp-dev] PTP RM commands and proxy events

Craig
I have a question and a couple suggestions
When the resource manager sends commands to the proxy, it expects
asynchronous responses. Does this allow for multiple commands to be in
progress with responses pending? Does the design allow for commands where
you must get a reponse before proceding because you need some information
from the proxy, such as a list of available nodes, or is it up to the
implementor to deal with that?

For resource manager commands, additional commands that might be useful
include commands to query node availability, query resource pools, query
job classes, query job queues, query what's running on the machine, what's
running on nodes, change job priority, cancel pending jobs (vs killing a
running job), disconnect from and reconnect to proxy. If the proxy is
expected to inform the resource manager of the complete state of the
machine, queues, etc, at startup, some of these queries might not be
required.

There's probably some additional commands required to initiate an
application under debugger control since the proxy may need to do extra
work in that case.

For events the proxy sends to the resource manager, again, I don't see
anything missing, but additions would be needed as responses to the
additional resource manager commands I suggested.

Dave

Craig Rasmussen <crasmussen@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/19/2006 01:25 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[ptp-dev] PTP RM commands and proxy events

I've completed a rough draft of the notes I took yesterday regarding
commands initiated by the resource manager (RM) and events sent back
by the proxy agents.  It is on our wiki at:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/PTP/designs/rm_proxy#Proxy_Events

Comments/changes welcome.  It will probably change as we begin to
implement and test the protocol.

Happy Holidays,
Craig