[ptp-dev] Re: Some questions about runtime model,sdm

What we currently have issues a run command and blocks on the return of
an associated job ID. It then blocks again waiting for information about
the processes associated with that job - what are their PIDs, what nodes
did they start on, etc? The version I'm using right now I changed *BOTH*
of these blocks so be async. Instead, you issue a run and sometime later
a "new job event" comes back with the job ID. Then, you can ask for info
about the processes and that info will come back async over time -
likely quickly but it's designed so that if it's staggered it will be
OK. Now, the problem is since the run command no longer blocks and
returns a JobID a few other systems are acting up (like the debugger)
for reasons I won't go into. I'm toying with the idea of making the run
block on a jobID again, I think it's reasonable . . . any thoughts? It
would fix this problem with these other systems which were expecting
something like:

jobid = controlSystem.run(my_job);
/* do something with jobid */

-- Nathan
Correspondence
I agree with you! Every parallel runtime would return a job id immediately it allocates nodes for the new application. But to a 1000 processes job, PID of each process may be returned several seconds(even half a minute) later. Before we get the jobid, we have already known the number of processes belonging to this job,  so we can create a blank job object with only jobid and num_procs fields filled.  From then, if a PID event or a PROC_OUT event occurs, we only add a process member to the job object or only update the process member. It all depends whether the parallel runtime supplies a process-state-notify mechnism(that is, parallel runtime will notify about each process status,like initializing,running,proc_out,error,etc.)

So I think we should block until jobid returned, or else we may not differ from each other JOBID when we simultaneously launch several application instances.