Re: [ptp-dev] easyeclipse

On Jun 9, 2006, at 6:51 AM, Beth Tibbitts wrote:

Yes!
Like EasyEclipse, If we could package eclipse, and PTP, and other essential
parts in one download,
customized for the common platforms, it would make it easier to install.

We could also OMIT parts not required for parallel programmers (the
PDE/JDT? unsure of what taking this out would do We'd lose some debugging
abilities.)

I also want to investigate the use of Eclipse capabilities to hide
functions and reduce the number of buttons and menu items for
the new PTP user, as well as have some cheatsheets and tutorials to help
them get started.

Fred Johnson (DOE program manager) has mentioned that he believe Eclipse has too big of a footprint. So it would be nice (in spite of what I've said on the subject previously :-) to have an Eclipse Lite that hides stuff.

So the ease of use, "Eclipse Lite" sorts of issues include
1. packaging - single download/install

I'm working on getting something like this together this week for our users here. Mainly the Fortran IDE stuff but we should also include PTP as well.

2. Omission of parts of eclipse not needed by PTP users
3. Hiding of parts of eclipse not needed by new users, until they are
required and then revealed
4. Tutorials, cheat sheets, help. etc. of course

Cheers,

Craig

Back to the top