Re: [ptp-dev] Process sets? Process output?

OK thanks. I will try that scenario (esp stepping thru non-MPI code.)
Thanks for the pointers.

On 2/8/06, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:29 AM, Beth Tibbitts wrote:

> Should running and stepping process sets work ok right now?

Yes, with one caveat. There's a bug in gdb on Linux that stops the
'suspend' button from working. I'll try and fix that today.

> And should the output in the jobx_processY view work?

When you run a job it should. Currently there is something preventing
output when you are debugging a process.

> (I go to runtime persp. to get them - dclick on node/process icons...
> then go back to debug view and i can see them there.
> I want to step over printlns so i can "prove" a particular process
> is running.  Should that work?)

Not currently. Usually just showing the location changing and the
values of variables is enough for a demo.

> Running and stepping process sets were a bit dicey last night when
> i played around more, too.
> If you can suggest a simple MPI program and a scenario that works,
> I will try that.

I would suggest creating a section in your program that doesn't do
any sends/receives and do your breakpoints/stepping demos there. That
way you will avoid deadlocks in the communication code. I find
stepping all processes through your 'if' statement works fine. You
see the different instruction streams and then eventually everything
resyncs at the MPI_Finalize().