Re: [platform-ui-dev] Commit message guidelines

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM, John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally I think the bug number and summary like we do today is sufficient. The best place for a long-winded explanation of the change is bugzilla, so that it is in a structured format, and associated with all the discussion, steps to reproduce, target milestone, etc, and gets sent to the bug's CC list. Also this allows you to add further comments after the git commit has been made without destroying the commit hash. A Git commit comment is a very poor vehicle for structured data compared to bugzilla.

I agree, and we wouldn't re-write commits to make comments.  Comments and discussions go on the bugs.  I also don't expect prose or long descriptions, but 1-4 sentences describing what was done in the commit (believe me, that's not currently on our bugs, usually just a "fixed" comment).

I do however want to switch from our random "Bug X - whatever" and "fixed Bug X - some stuff" or "Fix for Bug X - more stuff".  In git commit messages, extra information is contained in the footers (Change-Id, Signed-off-by, etc).  I want the "Bug: bug#" at the bottom, for the convention and because Gerrit can parse the footers (and it'll make it more predictable for our tooling as well).

If people still want to copy the bug title to the top, I don't see a problem with that.

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR

Back to the top