Re: [platform-swt-dev] Different Threads and Displays under Linux GTK

Sorry, multiple displays are not yet implemented on GTK. They were introduced arourd GTK 2.2 and we couldn't get to them before 3.0.  Also, SWT supports GTK 2.0.6 so we need to fail gracefully or force everyone to upgrade which most people have done anyways. Since Eclipse doesn't make use of this feature and some operating systems do not support it, it was low priorty.  Please enter a bugzilla request.  Thanks.

Can you structure your application a different way?  In my experience, multiple displays are not actually that useful.  About the only use I can imagine is a launcher that starts a bunch of separate GUI's, each of which has no idea that it is being launched from a launcher rather than running in it's own process.

Simone Gianni <s.gianni@xxxxxxxxx>

06/10/2004 07:43 PM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Different Threads and Displays under Linux GTK

Hi all,
we are having some problems under linux GTK using different Thread's on
different Display's. Basically we want to run a different thread, create
a display for it, then create a shell and make it live on his own,
separed from the main thread which is running the main Display.

Actually everything works perfectly under Windows XP, but it gives
IllegalThreadAccessException under linux GTK. After investigating for a
while, we discovered that event destinated to the second shell/display,
arrives in the event loop of the main thread/display, which then locates
the widget and tries to call some methods on it (the first one is the
"isDisposed()" method), thus causing the exception to be thrown, and the
main thread to die.

Is this a known bug? Any idea abut this issue?

Thanks, ciao
Simone Gianni