Re: [platform-swt-dev] GTK in CVS

Yup, we'd add custom code as a last resort.  The idea though is to
develop, port and debug in only one language.  We could probably
write a new GTK widget in Java by malloc'ing things in the OS with
the correct shape and registering in a few places.  It's not like QT
that requires a preprocessor.

The current approach to a platform binding is customized for Eclipse
and has pretty low overhead. Motif seems chuggy because Motif is
chuggy, but Eclipse does drive SWT pretty hard - all the more reason
for us to be as thin as possible - give the cycles to the app and all that.

Is fixed "fixed" in 2.0?  Looking at the GTK 2.0 API causes me to drool.
Many things that are half implemented and hacked in the SWT GTK
port on 1.2 seem to be directly supported by GTK 2.0.

Steve

Havoc Pennington <hp@xxxxxxxxxx>

12/06/01 05:42 PM
Please respond to platform-swt-dev