Re: [platform-swt-dev] MacOS X port status?

You could pick up a new iMac, say the 500 mhz model for $999 + a couple
hundred to pick up some more RAM.  I use one of the older PowerBooks that
has a 500 Mhz G3 and 384 MB of RAM and it runs OS X very fast.  I would
probably stay away from the older iMacs.

The other option would be to look on eBay and maybe even a local Mac dealer
for one of the older G4 models.  Say 400 Mhz - 533 Mhz range.  Probably
would cost around $1000 - 1200 but would probably have more memory and disk
space.  You might then also have to purchase OS X if it is not included
which would be another $129.

Hope this helps.

Mark

                    "Mike Wilson/OTT/OTI"
                    <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxx>          To:     platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                       cc:
                    platform-swt-dev-admin@e       Subject:     Re: [platform-swt-dev] MacOS X port status?
                    clipse.org

                    11/27/01 09:25 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-swt-dev

The biggest benefit of putting your code into eclipse.org is that it will
be seen regularly by the SWT committers. This is a good way to get feedback
quickly, which I suspect will be important, at least initially. The only
problem with this is that, you can't put the code on eclipse.org without
getting the port ok'ed by the PMC as was indicated a while back. This
really does take a formal commitment by somebody to be the port lead.

Unrelated question: If I was going to go out and buy myself a Mac at home,
what would be the cheapest one I could get that would be reasonable to work
on the port?

McQ.

                             Maurice Parker
                             <maurice@vineyardente            To:
                             rprise.com>              <platform-swt-dev@ecl
                             Sent by:                 ipse.org>
                             platform-swt-dev-admi            cc:
                             n@xxxxxxxxxxx                    Subject:
                                                      Re:
                             11/27/2001 08:39 AM      [platform-swt-dev]
                             Please respond to        MacOS X port status?
                             platform-swt-dev

Andre,

On 11/25/01 5:42 PM, "Andre Weinand" <weinand@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maurice,
>
>> Very cool.  You're making progress that quickly?
>
> Just kidding...
> And BTW I wasn't refering to my own implementation but to yours :-)

Oh!  I quit working on it because I figured you would have it done by now.
I better get going again!  :-)

>> Would it be possible for
>> you to do a code drop sometime so that I can try to catch up?
>
> Sure, we only have to find a way to synchronize our code without
> using Eclipse...

I would like to use Eclipse to do the port if possible.  One possibility is
to use the GTK port via an X server as you mentioned in another post.  I
had
also considered resurrecting one of my old, dead Windows boxes to cross
compile.

Failing that, we could always just do it the old fashioned way and use the
CVS command line client.

What are everyone's thoughts on where the code should be hosted?
Sourceforge.net and Eclipse.org are the two most obvious candidates, both
with strengths and weaknesses.  Thoughts...?

-Maurice