[platform-releng-dev] Releng change for tonight's build

See

Bug 381649 - Need to move up to new Jetty repo in pre-reqs

Technically speaking, we won't actually have to change anything (as far as I can tell right now)
since Jetty team changed only repo "metadata" and no artifact content and we will pick them up "automatically"
(as far as I can tell).

This was a change we requested, See
Bug 381457 - Jetty's optional requirements should use publisher that sets greedy=false so "random" things won't be installed

and is a bug that has far reaching effects, see
Bug 381325 - Installing EGit or JDT drags in unwanted ch.qos.logback.*

So, it all sounds great to fix this, right? Well, I do think so, but ... there is some risk involved (more than we'd normally like to take on this late in the cycle).  I do believe the benefits outweigh the risks, but ... just wanted to be open and honest about it. The risk is that someone may have been getting something installed previously "for free" and now no longer will. Of course, 99% of the time it is a bad thing to install something "for free" without someone explicitly requesting it, but ... it is a change.  And someone _might_ have to react to it. I hope not (and, if they do, long term they will be better off for it, though I'm sure they won't be happy about needing to do it last minute :/  But, overall, it will solve more problems than it causes, I'm sure. Plus, I think changing after the release, say for SR1, is just as bad as changing it "last minute" before the release.

Technically we could "revert the fix" if anyone (e.g. the Eclipse and Runtime PMCs) felt strongly we should ... but, I personally think it is essential that low level components (like Equinox and Jetty) not install things greedily, or else everyone is impacted by that behavior, which we are trying to get rid of.

Back to the top